WA State Licensing: Minor work permit

Minor Work Permit

You must have a Minor Work Permit if you employ 1 or more people under 18 years of age. You must also have industrial insurance.

Minors aren’t permitted to perform some duties, such as handling power tools. For information about restrictions, contact the Department of Labor and Industries.

Post your license

A license must be posted at each location where the licensee operates. You may not begin this business activity until you receive a Business License document listing the required license.

How to apply

Apply by using one of the following options:


Specialty endorsement Fee
Minor Work Permit No fee
Other fees that may apply Fee
Registering your business name as a trade name $5
Business License Application $19 (non-refundable)

Regulatory questions

Department of Labor and Industries
Phone: 360-902-5316